It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:54 pm

n in the first inning was going to be the 

Post n in the first inning was going to be the
Melbourne, Australia (SportsNetwork.com) - Five-time champion Serena Williams, fourth seed Petra Kvitova and former world No. 1 Caroline Wozniacki were among Tuesdays first-round winners at the Australian Open. The top-ranked Williams waltzed past Belgian Alison Van Uytvanck 6-0, 6-4 at Melbourne Park. The 18-time Grand Slam champion and reigning U.S. Open titlist is seeking her first title in Melbourne since 2010. One more Grand Slam title and she would pass Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova on the all-time list of champions. If I could get to 19 in Australia that would be amazing, Williams said. Up next for the American great will be former top-10 star Vera Zvonareva, who lost to Williams in the 2010 Wimbledon final. The reigning Wimbledon champion Kvitova recorded her 65th career Grand Slam victory with a 6-1, 6-4 decision over Belgiums Richel Hogenkamp, while the eighth-seeded U.S. Open runner-up Wozniacki topped American Taylor Townsend 7-6 (7-1), 6-2 on Day 2. Kvitova, fresh off her title in Sydney last week, will be opposed by German Mona Barthel in her next outing, while Wozniackis second-round opponent will be fellow former No. 1 Victoria Azarenka. The unseeded two-time Aussie champ Azarenka got off to a fine start this week by pasting American Sloane Stephens 6-3, 6-2. Azarenka titled back-to- back here in 2012 and 2013 before being slowed by a foot injury last year. Meanwhile, sixth-seeded former Wimbledon runner-up Agnieszka Radwanska dispatched Japans Kurumi Nara 6-3, 6-0 and 11th-seeded 2014 Aussie Open runner-up Dominika Cibulkova came from behind to best Belgian Kirsten Flipkens 3-6, 6-3, 6-1. Cibulkova lost to since-retired Li Na in last years finale in Oz. Venus Williams, the former No. 1 who is seeded 18th at this fortnight, took care of Spaniard Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor 6-2, 6-2. Venus, an Aussie runner-up to her younger sister Serena in 2003, opened her 2015 season with a title in Auckland two weeks ago, beating Wozniacki in the final. Venus second-round opponent will be fellow American Lauren Davis. Also, Camila Giorgi upended 12th-seeded fellow Italian Flavia Pennetta 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 and Swiss Timea Bacsinszky knocked out 15th-seeded former world No. 1 Jelena Jankovic 6-1, 6-4. In other seeded action Tuesday, American Madison Brengle, last weeks runner- up in Hobart, ousted No. 13 Andrea Petkovic 5-7, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3; No. 19 Alize Cornet defeated Zhang Shuai 6-3, 6-2; No. 20 Aussie Samantha Stosur beat Monica Niculescu 6-4, 6-1; No. 24 Garbine Muguruza topped Marina Erakovic 7-5, 6-0; No. 25 Barbora Zahlavova Strycova dismissed Timea Babos 6-4, 6-4; No. 26 Elina Svitolina erased Jana Cepelova 6-3, 7-5; No. 29 Aussie Casey Dellacqua cruised past Yvonne Meusburger 6-4, 6-0, and No. 30 American Varvara Lepchenko vaulted past Vitalia Diatchenko 6-3, 6-3. Several other women advanced, including Americans Coco Vandeweghe, Irina Falconi and Madison Keys, who defeated Ukrainian Lesia Tsurenko 6-3, 7-5. The second round will commence Wednesday, including matches for second-seeded former No. 1, former Aussie champ and two-time runner-up Maria Sharapova, third-seeded French Open finalist Simona Halep and seventh-seeded Canadian star Eugenie Bouchard. Sharapova will take on fellow Russian Alexandra Panova, while Halep will meet Aussie Jarmila Gajdosova and Bouchard will battle Dutchwoman Kiki Bertens. Duane Brown Jersey . According to the CFL Scouting Bureaus January rankings, four of the top five Canadian prospects line-up on the offensive side of the trenches, which is good news for Bombers general manager Kyle Walters. With only one selection in the first two rounds — Walters sent his second-round pick to Saskatchewan in the days ahead of the 2013 trade deadline — the No. Deshaun Watson Jersey .The league also seems to have a fairly active Twitter account www.twitter.com/bikinihockey that features the description “We provide a positive alternative to the hockey community and a venue for adult female hockey athletes to continue in their sport. http://www.nfltexansproauthentic.com/Bl ... rt-Jersey/. Onyshko, from Minnedosa, Man., will compete in artistic gymnastics while Hanet, from Kelowna, B.C., will compete in lawn bowling as a para-athlete. "It is exciting that our Canadian athletes are starting to arrive at the Games Village," said Chantal Petitclerc, Canadas Chef de Mission. Tyler Ervin Jersey .J. - Pete Carroll is in support of the NFL looking further into whether medicinal marijuana could beneficial for players. Corey Moore Jersey . The veteran fighter will be squaring off with Henderson in a five-round lightweight bout as part of another network televised card at the United Center on Saturday night.BOSTON - Max Scherzer is hard to faze. Detroits right-hander wasnt bothered by a 47-minute rain delay in the fourth inning Friday night and wasnt flustered when the game restarted 10 minutes earlier than anticipated. And as for the defending World Series champions? They hardly troubled him at all. Scherzer tossed six shutout innings, outdueling Boston ace Jon Lester and leading the Tigers to a 1-0 win over the Red Sox in the opener of a three-game series. "The rain delay had no effect on me," said Scherzer, who won his sixth straight start and lowered his league-leading ERA to 1.83. "When I went back out there for the fourth, it was the same." So was his stuff. The reigning AL Cy Young Award winner allowed just three hits over six-plus innings before being removed after a leadoff single by Mike Carp in the seventh. "This might have been the best his stuff has been all year," Tigers manager Brad Ausmus said. Scherzer (6-1) disagreed, citing a below-average changeup and his four walks, one of which was intentional. "Its always going to drive me crazy when Im not throwing first-pitch strikes and when Im walking guys," said Scherzer, who struck out seven. "Even though I wasnt able to do that tonight, when runners were on base I was still able to make big-time pitches." Joba Chamberlain retired the side in the eighth and closer Joe Nathan pitched a perfect ninth for his 11th save of the season. Torii Hunter delivered an RBI single in the first inning for the Tigers, playing their first game against the Red Sox since losing last years American League Championship Series in six games. Times have changed. Detroit has baseballs best record at 25-12, winning 13 of its last 16 games and nine in a row on the road. Scherzer is a major reason why. He faced the minimum through three innings before rain halted play with one out in the top of the fourth. While it definitely put a damper on the marquee matchup of aces, the delay barely slowed Scherzer, who stayed warm by throwing in the cages and was ready to go when the game restarted ahead of schedule. "For me, once I was able to get loose, I felt the same," he said.dddddddddddd Had the delay lasted longer, Scherzers night may have prematurely come to an end. "Right around an hour would have been too much," Ausmus said. "Theres a little bit of a grey area on either side of that, but if it had gone much longer, he probably would have been done." Following the delay, David Ortiz recorded Bostons first hit with a two-out single in the fourth, but was left on base when Scherzer fanned Carp. David Ross singled to begin the sixth but was stranded on third when Scherzer struck out Napoli. "I didnt pitch my best, but when runners were on base and I needed to make big pitches, I made big pitches," Scherzer said. "Thats the difference in the game." Lester (4-5) exited the game after five innings and 94 pitches. He gave up just one run on four hits with seven strikeouts and three walks. "With the rain delay, we were in that situation nearly an hour and werent going to push Jon more than the five innings tonight," Boston manager John Farrell said. "But to think one run in the first inning was going to be the difference, probably didnt anticipate that." Lester laboured through a 27-pitch first inning, highlighted by Hunters run-scoring single that plated Ian Kinsler, who singled. "I actually felt better coming out of the rain delay then I did coming into the game," Lester said. "I felt like I threw the ball a lot better the last two innings than I did the first three. I felt like I could have gone one more, but it wasnt my decision." NOTES: Lester and Scherzer had faced off just once before, on Sept. 3, 2013, in a 2-1 Boston victory. Lester earned the win, allowing one run in seven innings with nine strikeouts and no walks. Scherzer yielded two runs over seven innings. ... Cabrera entered the game batting .522 (12 for23) with one homer in his career against Lester. He went 0 for 2 with a walk Friday. ... Ortizs fifth-inning single extended his season-long hitting streak to nine games. ... Detroit reliever Evan Reed was called for a balk in the seventh. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:32 am